With the Apple-Banana Hemp Loaf, adding bran to your diet is easy! It is amazingly affordable in the bulk section at the health food store.
As a general rule, you can replace up to one-fourth of all-purpose flour in most recipes. Example: If a recipe has 3 cups all-purpose flour, (like this one originally called for) use 3/4 cup oat bran or ground oatmeal and 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour.Bran cereal flour is made by grinding the bran in a blender or food processor for 60 to 90 seconds. As with changing any aspect of your diet, use common sense and listen to your body, make changes slow to avoid undesired effects like bloating and intestinal gas.
- 4 Apples
- 4 small or 3 large bananas
- Lemon Juice
- ½ Cup Butter
- 1 ½ Cup Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 2 1/4 C. Organic White Wheat All Purpose Flour
- ¼ Cup Shelled Hemp Seeds
- ¾ Cup Bran (finely processed)
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbs Maple Extract
- Dried Cranberries or Raisins (optional)
- Peel and finely chop all 4 apples and sprinkle with lemon juice to keep from turning brown.
- Mash up the bananas and mix with the apples until well combined.
- In another large bowl, cream together the sugar, eggs, and butter until smooth.
- Sift all dry ingredients and fold to combine.
- Next, fold in apple and banana mixture.
- Lastly, fold in nuts, seeds, fruit, and flavoring.
- Spread mixture evenly between 2 greased loaf pans and bake for 1 hour at 325 degrees.