Hemp Hearts are just another name for shelled hemp seeds and can be bought in most major grocery stores, or right online! (yes, I am an Amazon affiliate). Nutty and delicious, they are a fantastic way to get healthy fats into your diet.
We call them “essential fatty acids” because they are vital for your body and mind to function correctly. They impact our bodies ability to lose weight and build muscle. With the perfect ratio of Omega-3 and Omega 6 fatty acids, hemp is your body’s best friend. EFA’s are needed for optimum health as they are rich in minerals, vitamin E, and protein. The brain is made up of approximately 60% fat and needs to be nourished to stay healthy. Hemp will benefit your vision, ability to concentrate, coordination, and mood! Most experts will advise that at least 1/3 of our daily fat intake should come from polyunsaturated oils that found in seeds and fish. Read more about Essential Fatty Acids and please enjoy my hemp recipes. Smart Fat is a great book that can help you understand why healthy fats are beneficial for weight loss. This pesto is simple to make, don’t be afraid to improvise and use whatever seed you love most, just don’t skip the hemp!
Super Seedy Hemp Pesto Ingredients:
- 1 med handful of chopped parsley
- 1 med handful of shredded basil
- 1/2 cup cilantro (optional)
- 3-5 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 shallot
- 2 tbs fresh grated parmesan cheese (nutritional yeast or blend up pita chips for vegans)
- 1/2 cup raw shelled hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds or Gomasio (sesame seed ground with sea salt and the mineral-rich seaweed)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1-2 lemons (1 squeeze into dressing and 1 to roast)
- Pasta water
- Blend all ingredients.
- Thin out with water or stock until you get the desired thickness.
- If you are going have the oven on anyway, then wrap a lemon in foil and roast at 400 degrees until caramelized for a tasty garnish.
- This pesto makes a great dressing for salad, pasta or potatoes!