How Can CBD Help with Better Sleep?
Our world is always spinning, and with the uncertainty in the air between COVID-19, the future of the economy, and school life, a better night’s sleep may be harder to come by than ever. Many of us struggle to have enough rest, the American Sleep Association reports:
Sleep Disorder Statistics: 50-70 US have a sleep disorder. 37.9% reported unintentionally falling asleep during the day at least once in the preceding month. 4.7% reported nodding off or falling asleep while driving at least once in the preceding month” (2019). See sleep fact sheet
So we know we aren’t sleeping, but do we accept (or resign!) and normalize it – no big deal right? “I’ll catch up on the z’s on the weekend, or an extra cup of coffee will help. Or, this is just the way it is……” Rest assured, we know CBD can help with sleep!
Well, that isn’t how our bodies work. Sleep deprivation in the short term can cause fatigue, sleepiness, clumsiness, agitation, and negative impacts to your cognitive functioning. It can cause depression, confusion, hair loss, and overall imbalance.
After a few days of sleep deprivation, we perceive that we are, “fine”, when in fact we are showing negative symptoms across all areas—- physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. Over time, sleep deprivation impacts our weight, hormones, stress levels, and can add to or cause chronic health issues.
A better night’s Sleep is like food and water—- it is imperative to our survival.
8 tips for getting a better night’s sleep
We have to create a bedtime routine, but most important be consistent. Some suggestions are as follows:
- Commit to getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep. Make a goal and note your progress.
- Ban phones, computers and blue light electronics in bed or by the bed (blue light is shown to negatively affect circadian rhythms)
- Choose a time where you will no longer accept texts and calls, and then- put your phone in airplane mode.
- Choose a bedtime and stick to it. Going to bed and waking at the same time each day improves health and circadian rhythms.
- Make your bedroom a safe space for rest. Remove work or stressful activities from this important sleep space.
- Engage in nighttime “play” with your partner (or with yourself!) to release energy, and naturally relaxing hormones which can help you fall into a deep sleep.
- Try using CBD for support, our Apothecary Care Nighttime Capsules are a great place to start!
- Download a sleep app, or invest in a health watch like Fitbit that provides hour-by-hour feedback to monitor your progress!
Why CBD and how can CBD can help your sleep?
Whether it’s because of sleep disorders like insomnia, anxiety, depression, chronic pain, or stress, some of us struggle to fall asleep or stay asleep. One way to help create an ideal state to fall asleep, and stay asleep, would be to take a bath. A bath will help relax you, and also prioritizes self-care, “me-time”, and slows the mind down and signals our body to rest.
CBD bath products can be a huge help. In the bath you can use a relaxing bath bomb by Irie Bliss Wellness! These Bath Bombs are formulated with CBD, essential oils, and Epsom salt. Rose and lavender essential oils act as natural aromatherapy that signals the brain to slow down, lowers blood pressure, and also has positive impacts on the skin (anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, cleans out pores, tones skin, anti-aging properties, helps balance pH in the skin).
CBD also acts as a supplement working with the endocannabinoid system to decrease inflammation, relax muscles, decrease anxiety, and also encourage the body to return to a state of homeostasis. In addition, CBD is not a stimulant, so it is an excellent supplement to help aid in falling asleep and staying asleep.
Better sleep will increase your overall wellness, so why not use all the tools you can to make your nights more restful. A happier, healthier, more rested you is just around the corner so that you may shine throughout the day!
by Elizabeth Raggi, LMHC ATR