If you take a CBD tincture or enjoy medical THC cannabis products, then you’re already familiar with the 2 most common cannabinoids (spoiler: CBD and THC). One of the other plant medicine cannabinoids we are often asked about is Delta 8 THC, a hot trending hemp-derived product that clients are adopting as part of their regimen.
What is Delta 8?
“Delta 8” — or Delta-8 tetrahydrocannabinol — is a cannabinoid found in the cannabis plant. Similar to its Delta 9 THC cousin, it produces calming, relaxing effects — but with less psychoactive response. Ultimately, the effect is more than CBD (which is zero) but less than THC, making it ideal for healing and calming daytime function. A few fast facts:
- Delta 8 THC is structurally similar to its more well-known sibling, Delta 9 THC, what many know simply as THC.
- The “8” stands for the placement of a chemical bond, one step over from where it sits in Delta 9.
- Delta 9 THC is one of the 4 most common cannabinoids, along with CBD, CBN, and CBGa. Delta 8 and other cannabinoids work together as part of the “entourage effect.”
Delta 8’s structural similarity means:
- You get slight, but “clear head” psychoactive effects (more than CBD, less than Delta 9 THC).
- You can incur a positive drug test result (because tests do not differentiate between types of THC) so it is not advised for people who are drug tested.
- Most states do not have restrictions on Delta 8 because it is hemp-derived and the final product contains less than .3% of Delta 9 (in accordance with 2018 Farm Bill guidelines).
- It is for adult-use only and you should not operate machinery or drive a car after taking.
Why try Delta 8? What are the benefits of Delta 8?
Delta 8’s relief profile overlaps with some of CBD and THC’s calming and relaxing benefits, including:
- Analgesic/pain relief
- Appetite stimulant for cancer patients
- “Clear-headed” body effect (vs Delta 9)
Who should consider trying Delta 8?
If you’re finding that CBD alone isn’t helping, or THC is too sedating, Delta 8 might be the next self-care stop for you. Daytime-formulated Delta 8 products can assist in pain relief and in quelling anxiety, while allowing for a “clear headed” body high. People report they can “relax,” while remaining focused for work and other daytime activities. Evening formulas may combine with melatonin or a sleep-ready terpene complex that offers a more sedating effect. (Hello, sleep, my old friend.)
“Some users who find THC products to be too intense for them may find that Delta 8 provides a smoother, milder effect that is more functional and less sedating,” says Sandy Bernier, founder and owner of Irie Bliss Wellness. “It makes me feel grounded in my body and carefree in my mind. According to many of my clients, it seemingly alters your perception and response to pain. I found it to be a useful tool in my tool chest for those who weren’t noticing enough of an effect from CBD alone.”
Have more questions about Delta 8 or how to get it? Contact a nurse at the Green Network Provider or call our Weymouth shop at 781-660-5333.